How your physician in Southfield, MI can help you stay healthy
Your heart keeps your body working and feeling great. You need to keep your heart working well by living a heart-healthy lifestyle. Changing just a few things can make a world of difference in the health of your heart. Dr. Antoine E. Geffrard at RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI offers a wide range of medical services to keep you feeling your best.
So, what can you do to protect your heart? It turns out, there are quite a few things. If you smoke, you should stop. Smoking increases your risk for a number of serious medical conditions, including heart disease.
In addition to quitting smoking, you should:
- Try to stay away from fatty, greasy, fried foods. Change to baked foods instead.
- Try to limit full-fat dairy products and red meat. Change to skim or low-fat dairy products and lean meats like turkey, chicken, or fish.
- Maintain a healthy weight. This may be difficult, especially as you get older. Try eating lots of vegetables and fruits; they contain fiber, so you will feel fuller, longer.
- Exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. Try to include aerobic exercises like rapid walking, jogging, running, or swimming. Aerobic exercise gets your heart pumping which helps to keep it working well.
- Limit your stress and try out a few stress management techniques like meditation, yoga, reading, and deep breathing exercises.
- Visit your doctor regularly for a blood pressure and cholesterol check. Take any medications as prescribed by your doctor.
Heart disease takes on many forms and can cause many symptoms, including:
- Chest pain, pressure, or a squeezing feeling
- Chest pain that doesn’t go away, or that increases
- Chest pain that radiates down your arms, neck, or shoulders
- A rapid, irregular heartbeat
If you notice any of the symptoms listed above, seek out emergency treatment because you could be having a heart attack.
Your doctor can help you and your heart stay healthy. To find out more about living a heart-healthy lifestyle, call Dr. Antoine E. Geffrard of RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI at (248) 663-5353. Call now and protect your health!