Understanding the Primary Role of a Physiatrist
Chronic, long-term illnesses, diseases, and surgeries can be debilitating, resulting in loss of range of motion, flexibility, and mobility. A physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist can help. Dr. Antoine Geffrard at RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI, offers comprehensive medical and wellness services, including physiatry to help you regain your health and quality of life.
What You Need To Know About Physiatry
If you experience an acute or chronic illness, disease, injury, or surgery, your body can suffer. When your body suffers, your mind and emotional health suffer too. These are just a few of the problems prolonged illness or trauma can cause:
- Chronic, unmanageable pain
- Loss of range of motion and flexibility
- Loss of mobility and autonomy
- Muscle wasting and atrophy
- Degenerative joint damage
- Depression and anxiety
A physical medicine and rehabilitation physician, a physiatrist, can help you get your life back by treating medical conditions that affect the brain, spinal cord, nervous system, bones and joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
When you visit a physiatrist, the physiatrist can help with:
- Managing your medical conditions as you recover
- Providing a medical evaluation for you to begin rehabilitative services
- Pain management to keep you comfortable as you recover
- Management of problems associated with body movement, breathing issues, bowel and bladder problems, and other conditions during rehabilitation
A physiatrist may often work with other coordinating medical disciplines to provide optimal medical care. Your physiatrist may consult with internal medicine doctors, primary care doctors, pulmonologists, orthopedists, and physical therapists, to provide the most exhaustive, most comprehensive treatment available.
Want To Know More?
It’s difficult to heal and recover from a prolonged illness, injury, or surgery. You might need a little help from an expert–a physiatrist. To find out more about physiatry services and how they can help you regain your quality of life, call Dr. Antoine Geffrard at RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI. You can reach him in the office by calling (248) 663-5353, so call today.