Posts for tag: Illness
Older adults are often most at risk for physical and mental decline due to chronic illnesses and long hospital stays.
When we are dealing with a serious illness, the first place we turn to is hospitals. A hospital is a symbol of healing and health; however, sometimes staying at a hospital can actually lead to a decline in a person’s health and functionality. Here at RMS Consultation, we understand all too well how a long-term illness or hospitalization can lead to a functional decline, especially in the elderly. Our Southfield, MI, doctor Dr. Antoine Geffrard works one-on-one with his patients to map out a strategy of continuous care post-hospitalization or illness to make sure that they get back on track, health-wise.
Types of Functional Decline
As we get older we may face functional decline as a result of age. Some of the most common types include:
- Bone weakening or fracturing due to conditions such as osteoporosis
- Balance issues
- Memory loss
- Hearing loss and other issues
- Vision problems (e.g. cataracts; glaucoma)
Unfortunately, other chronic conditions or being hospitalized can make these issues worse.
How Hospitalization Impacts Functional Decline
Any type of extended stay in a hospital can impact a person’s health and functionality, especially seniors. This is due to several factors:
- Immobilization is one of the top reasons. Most patients are sedentary, which can make balance issues even worse. While bed rest may help a patient heal, it can also cause a loss of strength and muscle mass.
- With the drop in blood pressure, due to lying in bed, patients may also experience dizziness upon standing, which can also increase their risk for falls.
- Sleep problems or disturbances are also common, as patients are often woken up by hospital noises and nighttime monitoring and checkups.
- Not getting the proper nutrition or the number of calories they need to feel and function at their best.
How We Can Help
We understand the toll that a long-term illness or hospitalization can take on a patient, particularly the elderly. There are steps that our Southfield, MI, doctor can take to make sure that you are getting the proper care, medication, and treatment you deserve to help you get back on your feet. Here at RMS Consultations, we can:
- Discuss and fully understand a patient’s health concerns and current healthcare needs
- Assess a patient’s ability to function and perform everyday activities
- Evaluate balance and coordination issues
- Recommend assistive devices such as physical therapy, canes, or walkers to reduce fall risk
- Provide dietary advice to improve caloric intake and to ensure that patients are getting the appropriate nutrition at home to improve their health and strength
- Monitor a patient’s current medications and discuss other medication options if these prescriptions aren’t providing the patient with adequate symptom control
- Work with a patient’s entire medical team, from physical therapists and primary care doctors to specialists, to ensure that they are getting the most comprehensive care possible
If you or a loved one is dealing with challenges following a long illness or hospitalization, know that you aren’t alone. Here at RMS Consultations, Dr. Geffrard and his team here at their Southfield, MI, practice can offer you the treatment and care you need. To schedule an evaluation call (248) 663-5353 today.
If you’ve recently gone through a serious illness or have been severely injured, you may need extra help to help you get back on your feet. Rehabilitation or recovery services could help you manage your life better after an injury, surgery, or health event like a heart attack or stroke. Here at RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI, we offer comprehensive rehabilitation services under the care of Dr. Antoine Geffrard.
In most cases, rehabilitation services are used by individuals who:
- Had surgery
- Had a spinal injury
- Had a stroke
- Was in an accident that left you injured
- Had some sort of mental episode
- Spent a prolonged period of time confined in a hospital
Generally speaking, rehabilitation following an injury or illness involves specific steps that can help you recover from your ordeal in an easier, safer, and more stress-free manner. It can likewise help you relearn skills, restore your strength, or figure out new ways to help you do things more efficiently.
During your appointment here at RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI, you’ll discuss your rehabilitation goals with Dr. Antione Geffrard so that you can both work out what you’ll need to do to achieve those goals. It’s also vital to note that you’ll play an immensely crucial part in your recovery, so you will need patience and determination.
Essentially, the main goal of rehabilitation is to ensure that you live a healthy and full life after your injury or illness. That life might be different from the life you had before your injury or illness, so you will need lots of support so that you can transition to your new normal as safely and easily possible.
Other Crucial Things to Know About Injury or Illness Recovery
Injury, illnesses, and medical conditions could result in stress that can negatively impact your overall health. Likewise, lifestyle factors like anxiety, tension, stress, an unhealthy diet, lack of sleep, and physical inactivity could further aggravate your condition and lead to poor recovery results. This is why support (aside from your doctor’s support) from relevant individuals come in. Social support from family and friends will help ensure better rehabilitation outcomes.
To make certain that you have the support you need during this trying time, plan catch-up visits with your close friends and family. Even a once weekly catch-up date can do wonders for your recovery and make you feel that you’re not alone. You should likewise inform your friends and family about your recovery goals so they’ll know how they can help get you through this difficult time. Additionally, you can look into joining a support group made up of people who have the same experiences as you.
Take control of your recovery right now. Dial (248) 663-5353 to book an appointment at our office, RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI, now. Dr. Antoine Geffrard will help you create a rehabilitation plan that will address your needs.
How your doctor in Southfield, MI, can help you feel better
Your body is a system, with all the parts working together to keep you healthy and active. When you have suffered an illness or undergone surgery, it can affect your entire body too. You may experience a decline in function, your activity level may decline, and you may not feel healthy. An illness or surgery can weaken you and make you more prone to other debilitating effects.
Dr. Antoine E. Geffrard at RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI, offers a wide range of services to get you back on your feet and feeling healthy again. At RMS Consultations, your doctor can:
- Treat acute injury and disease
- Treat chronic diseases
- Help with weight loss and health maintenance
- Share alternative health care options
- Provide health education and lifestyle counseling
After an illness, you may not feel completely well. Your body has had to fight off the illness, leading to an overworked immune system and reduction in vital nutrients that keep your body functioning normally. The effects of the illness may linger, including fatigue, failure-to-thrive, joint and muscle pain, and other common problems.
After a surgery, your body may have been immobilized for a long period of time, or your activity has decreased. Post-surgical effects can include muscle atrophy, skeletal and joint pain, muscle aches, loss of fitness, and other issues.
It can be difficult to begin functioning at your normal capacity after an illness or surgery. Dr. Geffrard can help you regain function. He will perform a comprehensive examination, and record any medical or functional issues you are having. He will communicate any recommendations to your physician and work with your physician to help you regain your good health.
His recommendations may include:
- Diet and lifestyle modifications
- Changes or modifications to your medication regimen
- Physical therapy and other programs to increase mobility
Illnesses and surgeries can be traumatic to your body and your life, with effects that are long-lasting. Your doctor can help you recover and feel your best. For more information about professional care after a surgery or an illness, call Dr. Antoine E. Geffrard at RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI, today!