Posts for tag: Acute Injury
Your doctor in Southfield, MI, can help you stay well.
If you’ve ever experienced an acute injury or the onset of an acute disease, you know it can dramatically affect your life. You may not know what to do, but your doctor does. Dr. Antoine Geffrard at RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI, offers comprehensive medical care, including treatment of acute injuries and diseases.
An acute injury can involve your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones. It can be the result of a sports injury, vehicular accident, or even just bad posture. For minor injuries, including bruising, swelling, or strained muscles, your doctor may recommend:
- Icing the area to reduce swelling
- Resting the area while you heal
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication
For more serious injuries including strained tendons, ligaments, or broken bones, your doctor may recommend:
- Immobilization with a cast, splint, or other devices to allow the area to heal
- Taking prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Surgery to repair torn tendons, ligaments, or broken bones
An acute disease can be caused by viral or bacterial exposure and can come on suddenly. Acute diseases can also be caused by exposure to an allergen, which can result in respiratory issues.
For viral infections like a cold or the flu, your doctor may recommend:
- Resting and drinking plenty of fluids
- Taking over-the-counter antihistamines, decongestants, or flu medications
- Avoiding contact with others to avoid spreading the virus
If your acute disease is the result of bacterial exposure, your doctor may prescribe an appropriate antibiotic to eliminate the bacteria so you can get well.
If your acute disease is the result of exposure to an allergen, your doctor may recommend:
- Allergy testing to determine what you are allergic to
- Allergy treatment including injections or sublingual immunotherapy
- Short-acting and long term medications if your allergy causes respiratory problems like asthma
Acute injuries and diseases can be sudden and scary. Fortunately, relief is just a phone call away. To find out more about how your doctor can help you heal from an acute injury or illness, call Dr. Geffrard of RMS Consultations in Southfield, MI, at (248) 663-5353 now!