Have you been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS)? At RMS Consultations, Dr. Antoine Geffrard and his compassionate staff understand this chronic and potentially disabling disease of the central nervous system. We'll help you manage your symptoms and optimize your function and your mood. Learn more here so you can thrive.
What is MS?
Multiple Sclerosis, or MS, is a chronic disease of the immune system and the central nervous system. Impacting adults in the prime of their lives (between ages 20 and 50), MS degrades the myelin, or fatty covering, which surrounds nerve cells. Accordingly, MS disrupts how well the brain communicates with the rest of the body. Both genetics and environmental factors seem to precipitate Multiple Sclerosis.
What are the symptoms?
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society says that MS is as individual as the people who have it. Some individuals have just a few signs while others are very sick and disabled. Also, symptoms fluctuate in intensity over time.
Symptoms may include:
- Pronounced fatigue
- Gait and balance issues
- Emotional lability
- Bladder and bowel problems
- Sexual dysfunction
- Vision changes
- Speech and swallowing difficulties
- Poor posture and immobility
- Muscle stiffness and spasms (typically action tremors which begins as a person moves, explains Momentum magazine)
How RMS Consultations can help you manage your symptoms
If you have MS, you would benefit greatly from a discussion with Dr. Geffrard and his caring team at RMS Consultations. This physician has wide-ranging expertise in both acute and chronic rehabilitation services.
Your care plan will have features in common with those of other MS patients. Others will be particular to your needs and preferences. Features may include:
- Getting enough sleep (including power naps during the day)
- Reducing stress
- A nutritious diet (including omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to reduce inflammation)
- Exercising 30 minutes twice weekly to improve mobility, muscle tone, and mood
- Taking Vitamin D supplements and eating foods, such as eggs, which are rich in this important vitamin
- Reducing stress by managing your daily workflow (reducing stress decreases depression and anxiety)
- Stopping all tobacco usage
- Taking prescribed medications
- Engaging in physical and occupational therapies as Dr. Geffrard advises
At RMS Consultations, Dr. Antoine Geffrard helps MS patients live their best lives every day. Yes, Multiple Sclerosis can be managed successfully. Call us for more information: (248) 663-5353.